[BlueOnyx:08591] Re: When should I be doing yum groupinstall BlueOnyx?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Sep 25 16:25:21 -05 2011

Hi Jim,

> In the past I have done a yum update and it reported nothing new. Then
> did a yum groupinstall BlueOnyx and would find stuff waiting to be
> installed.
>
> Today same type of experience but when I say Y to update I get errors.
> Am I right in my assumptions above or should I not be executing this
> command from time to time to look for new features?

No, you can run this command at any time without negative impacts.

At this time BlueOnyx consists of around 1000 RPMs (give and take a few dozen)
and with the early CDs of 5107R we somehow may not have worked with a complete
list to make sure that really everything that's needed gets installed.

For example: The list of RPMs that just got installed on your box are mostly
support RPMs that deal with monitoring some Active Monitor components.
Although analog, mod_cband and blueonyx-z-push should have gotten installed
off the CD first time around, as there are GUI RPMs that explicitly required
them.

Typically the CD install of BlueOnyx should bring aboard everything you need.
>From then on "yum update" normally should suffice to keep you not only up to
date, but also complete.

However, the earlier CDs of 5107R had a dependency list which wasn't perfect
and a few items may have been left out. So running "yum groupinstall BlueOnyx"
makes sure that you really have everything. Including things that we later on
(after the CD you used to install BlueOnyx) added to BlueOnyx itself. Or which
we simply forgot to add due to an oversight.