[BlueOnyx:08595] Re: When should I be doing yum groupinstall BlueOnyx?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Sep 25 18:39:27 -05 2011

Hi Jeff,

> Interested, I ran the groupinstall command and received the same list of 14
> packages. When I said 'Y' to install, they all conflicted with i686
> packages installed by the anaconda installer when I installed from the
> latest 5107R CD.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's another issue and entirely my fault. For a while
certain RPMs were built on different build boxes. One of the build boxes was
set to build RPMs with just the i386 extension (as it should be for that
architecture). The other box unfortunately built with the i686 extension,
although i386 would have been sufficient for our purpose.

So we ended up having i386 and i686 RPMs in the repository, where i386 would
have been good enough.

However: If a YUM install on a modern box sees that for the same RPM there is
an i386 and an i686 RPM available, it'll prefer the i686 over the i386. Even
if the i386 is newer and has a higher version number.

> My server works fine, and I was only curious, but do I need to do anything?
> Here is specifics about base-apache-am that is installed...
>
> [...] but will this goof up future updates?

Unfortunately yes. :o(

In the meantime I removed all conflicting i686 RPMs and use i386 wherever
possible.

Try these two commands as a resolve:

yum reinstall am-bins analog base-apache-am base-dns-am base-ftp-am base-
network-am base-telnet-am base-time-src blueonyx-z-push mod_cband ms-sys raid-
bins re2c telnet-scripts

yum update

The reinstall of the listed RPMs should just try to reinstall the RPMs of the
same version number. As it won't see the i686 RPMs anymore (they were removed
from YUM a few weeks ago), it'll reinstall the i386 versions.

Finally the "yum update" at the end will just do an updated if needed.