[BlueOnyx:08678] Re: home directory suggestion

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Sep 29 20:57:47 -05 2011

Hi Chuck,

> Yep - I just checked that on my test 5107R box.  When I created the site
> www.test.com and the user test_admin, it created the user's home directory
> with /web in it.  Even though the "Enable user owned webs" was off in the
> site creation.

Yeah, the user's /web directory and the index.html in it are always created
when the user is created.

> Maybe we should change the configuration so those /user/web directories are
> not created unless that box is checked.   That might help with the
> confused users who don't know where to drop the site's files versus their
> private webpage's files.  That way, the /user/web directories are not
> created by default - and we should have fewer calls from idiots.

No, this ain't gonna work, nor is it a really good idea, as it will create
tons of headaches along the way:

When suPHP is enabled for a site, user owned webs are turned off, because they
will not work with suPHP turned on.

But we certainly don't want to delete user owned webs whenever suPHP is turned
on. Likewise, we wouldn't want to re-create user owned web directories and the
index.html when suPHP is turned off on a site that previously had it on.

If we simply don't create user owned webs on user creation (or name the
personal /web folder for them differently, like /userweb), this creates issues
with CMU.

If we switch that behaviour at runtime, there will also be transitional
problems and confusion.

I agree that the situation - as is - ain't perfect. But it's rather an
educational problem. A siteAdmin simply needs to make sure that he uploads to
the right /web directory. That shouldn't be that hard to manage. And as for
user owned /web directories: If they work, that's just a bonus, but if they
really want a real website, they should get their own Vsite.