[BlueOnyx:11768] Re: SSH vs ProFTP..

George F. Nemeyer tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Thu Dec 6 19:32:57 -05 2012

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Frank Peels wrote:

> Yesterday I tried to get FTP+TLS for my box.  It played around with the
> proftp.conf file and today I can’t connect with SSH no longer. I get
> "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host”. Not
> sure if the one has anything to do with the other. Actually at the
> moment I don’t have a clue what happened. Anyone knows what went wrong
> for me and how to fix it ?

When I saw a similar SSH error, it was actually PAM having decided that
there'd been too many bad login attempts and was locking out any attempt
to connect.

If it blocks, it will also prevent access to SSH and anything else
going through PAM from the IP involved.

You *could* try connecting to the box from a different IP if you're going
in via ethernet.

As I recall, I eventually had to use a serial terminal console and boot
the box into single user mode and then use the PAM tools (pam_abl, I
think) to force reset of the PAM blocking database and login counters.
It wasn't fun.

Good luck!

=^_^=  Tigerwolf