[BlueOnyx:11805] Re: Web Alias Redirects with SSL

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.org
Sun Dec 16 13:15:38 -05 2012

On 12/12/2012 10:14 PM, Carl E. Hartung wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:12:45 -0500
> Robert Fitzpatrick <robert at webtent.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Carl, all was a big help in getting it to work finally. Now
>> that I have the redirect working in the .htaccess file, still getting
>> the browser warning prior to the redirect about the name not matching
>> the cert. I was hoping that Rewrite would redirect before the
>> warning, that is what we are trying to accomplish. Do you, or someone
>> here, know a way to avoid that warning?
>
> Did you get this resolved, Robert? The thought occurred to me this
> evening that you might need to test the configuration using different
> browsers and / or by clearing your cache (including any certificates
> stored for that host / IP address) following each server-side
> modification.

Thanks Carl, I did get the Rewrite to work, but it does not seem to
avoid the warning. I did use different browsers and had others test as
well including clearing of the caches. If anyone has been able to
redirect https://domain.tld to https://www.domain.tld and avoid any
warnings, I'd like to know. Since the cert is only issued for
www.domain.tld, the warning occurs before the Rewrite or redirect when
someone goes to the address without the www. Not sure why my customer is
so concerned about people that may go the wrong address when it is not
published anywhere. But after my findings, I believe they have scrapped
the idea.

--Robert