[BlueOnyx:11808] Re: /etc/hosts

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Mon Dec 17 03:37:30 -05 2012

Ken, Steffan,

Sorry for my late reply. There are 2 parts in the hostfile, each being
modified by another piece of code. My own problems on VPS lie mostly
within the part that parses ifconfig (the part with "### Begin - Nuonce
hosts Fix" in the hosts file), the responsible script for this is
/usr/sausalito/constructor/base/vsite/fixhosts .
However the part that messes it up for you seems to come from the script at
/usr/sausalito/handlers/base/network/etchosts.pl .
This script uses only values from CODB, so it seems that the old IP you
see is buried somewhere in CODB and results in the wrong results in
hosts file.

Beside checking the GUI for i.e. Sites that still have the old IP and
removing them to make sure CODB looses the old IP I can only give the
following workaround until somebody with more and deeper knowledge of
CODB chimes in:

Fix the hosts file in question based on a working template from another
VPS. Once you saved it corrected and hostname -f returns what you think
it should lock the file against being recreated or modified with the
following command:

chattr +i /etc/hosts

Now you can safely reboot without loosing your corrected host settings,
it will result in a few errors on startup but will work fine.

Once there is a fix or you want to make the hosts file writable again,
just use

chattr -i /etc/hosts

Sorry for not being of more help, but this should help you at least to
feel a bit more comfortable for the season holidays ;-)

Hth,
Christoph