[BlueOnyx:11869] Whitelist IPs in Failed logins?

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Wed Dec 26 17:44:50 -05 2012

We are transitioning from BO to Exchange. As we transition we are using
a tool called popcon to run the two servers in parallel as we slowly
migrate our users. We still have about 30 days to go before we are
totally off, and have a REALLY bad issue.

a while back we were seeing host blocks occuring even if they are well
within the threshold of failures per hour so we disabled both user and
host blocking. The problem went away.

Today I noticed that we are under some sort of user dictionary attack
(trying a list of user first names in alpha order... bill@, bob@, Burt@,
Cassie@, Catie@,Doug@, etc) from a web host with a not so  great
reputation... Webexxpurts.com. Seeing from comments on the web that they
dont even accept abuse reports from others abused by their servers, I
didnt bother reporting and tried blocking at my firewall. No immediate
joy (and Im not sure why).

As soon as I turned on my host block at a respectable 50/1h and all
attempts from that Webexxpress ip were blocked. However I started seeing
SOME of my internal pop logins fail WELL below the threshhold... The gui
shows <20 fails, and status of green, but still some logins are failing.
As soon as I turn off the host block, or reset the host blocks, I can
see in the maillog the server starts allowing the previously blocked
logins again. (so I know its not bad password issues on the client or
mailbox) And as far as I can tell, its not ALL of the mailboxes that are
failing... only certain ones... but they are ALL behind the same public
IP. Blocked users screen is empty.

Now that I think about it, I got the alert that things were getting
blocked BEFORE I turned on the host blocking today. Going into the
maillog is where I first noticed the attack. But turning it on and back
off fixed the original  pop login problem. Its almost like its a related
problem that is corrected (coincidentally) by cycling the PAM ABL.

Is there a way to whitelist my internal IP(s) so that I can block the
world but not my Popcon server? Or do we think its a separate issue
since the blocks are happening below the threshhold?