[BlueOnyx:09297] Re: Heavy load during lots of httpd requests

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Jan 3 10:53:00 -05 2012

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I have a customer with a BlueOnyx VPS that produces tons of httpd
> processes and the load goes above 100, yes 100+, and of course brings
> the server to a halt when it is hit by tons of requests at one time.
> There is a tweet sent out by someone who has 2 million followers to got
> to the site to buy a book and it takes down this VPS. After we block
> traffic, restart Apache to purge existing connections and open all back
> again, everything is fine, until the next tweet. It just cannot handle
> the initial hit. We are working on optimizing MySQL and Apache now. Has
> anyone dealt with this or have any recommendations for handling such a hit?

We have a bit of experience with this sort of thing.  For instance, one
of our customers handles all the social media for major recording
artists, the largest being the "Lady" who wears the meat dress.  So you
can imagine they get fairly heavily loaded whenever "she" sends a tweet.

Go ahead and optimize your MySQL and Apache, but the answer is likely to
be "more power".

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services