[BlueOnyx:09404] Re: 5107R release and self-partitioning

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Mon Jan 16 12:37:47 -05 2012

> Unfortunately the RHEL6 Anaconda used in SL6 no longer has this option. So at
> this time "self partitioning" for 5107R or 5108R is no longer offered.
>
> If you need your own partitioning scheme for more than one install, then there
> would be the option of taking the CD apart and to modify the kickstart script
> so that it partitions things in the way you need them.
>
> What kind of partitioning layout do you need?
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

Hi Micheal,

Its unfortunate that self-partitioning ability was dropped.  I'm not so interested in adjusting the sizes of the partitions - I think they're fine as they are in the default installation.

I'd just like to be able to install without LVM.  I've personally never realized any benefits from LVM - not once.  But it sure causes problems when there is a crash and you have to recover data from a LVM disk.  Without that "self-partition" ability, I assume the ability to do a "non-LVM" installation is gone too?

Chuck