[BlueOnyx:09424] Re: sec_error_unknown_issuer

Carl E. Hartung carlh04426 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 07:56:15 -05 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:13:24 -0000
"DD" <bqlist at distortal.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've installed a new SSL cert on http://www.tidetimes.org.uk
>
> When browsing HTTPS in Firefox I get the error
> 'sec_error_unknown_issuer' which Google suggests is due to not having
> intermediate certificates installed.
>
> https://support.comodo.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbartic
> leid=1249 states the required cert is the 'AddTrust External CA Root'
> which I've installed using the CA Management page in the admin panel,
> but the error persists after restarting HTTPD.  The cert actually
> came with three others, all of which I have installed.
>
> Does anyone have any better instructions?

Try this:

http://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=

I have no affiliation with these people but had a similar problem after
renewing a certificate. This page allowed me to prove to a vendor there
actually /was/ a problem with the installation. Just append the
problematic URL and it will give more / better info about what it finds
wrong, if anything. Another item to keep in mind is sometimes visitors
to the site will need to clear recent browsing history and click
'refresh' a couple of times for the new certificate to replace the
prior one in cache.

hth & regards,

Carl