[BlueOnyx:09439] /var getting full

John Sikes jsikes at sikesland.com
Mon Jan 23 21:13:11 -05 2012

Received a message that my /var partition was getting full.  Thought
it was going to be the spool again, but found that btmp was huge.
Looks like I got hit very hard in the past 24/48 hours with failed
login attempts.  Looking for a quick way to purge the file to regain
space.  I identified the top 10 offenders and blocked their IP's for
now and just need to reclaim space.

Can I just cat /dev/null > /var/log/btmp?  Is there a better, more
correct way to clear up some space quick?

Thanks

John Sikes

believed to be clean.