[BlueOnyx:09502] Re: unable to set numeric sub domain name

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Tue Jan 31 14:59:42 -05 2012

On 2/1/2012 2:56 AM, Ralf Quint wrote:
> At 07:40 AM 1/31/2012, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>> Ralf Quint wrote:

>>> 3com.com exists per WhoIs since 1986 (though it redirects now to an
>>> HP site, since they bought 3COM in 2010), so there can't be any
>>> change in "recent" years on that...
>>>
>> 3com.com is not a 'host' name, its a domain name ;)
> Please see the quoted part of Michael's post. He clearly refers to
> "domain" names!

Yes, 3com is an exception. Some registrars choose not to enforce the
RFC's as indicated above. In the case of 3com, it may have been issued
prior to the introduction of that RFC. Obviously, 3com did not use
cobalt products, since the code to block digits in host/domain names has
been there since the cobalt days.

Either way, its part of the rules today, and blueonyx is RFC compliant
in this regard. I would not support changing that status.

Greg.