[BlueOnyx:09503] Re: unable to set numeric sub domain name

Radek P. radi242 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:10:40 -05 2012

Hi Radek,

According to RFC-952 the first character of a host- or domain-name may not
> be
> a number, dash or hyphen. It must be a letter.
> However, in recent years domain name registries have allowed certain RFC
> violating domain names (9gag.com anyone? ;-), so this RFC may have been
> overtaken by events or bad practices somewhere upstream.

I think you're right here. Unfortunately I'm facing problem with migration
of sites already utilizing such naming scheme and url's based on them
cannot be changed nor removed at the moment. Even that users were
encouraged to make such steps.

> /usr/sausalito/schemas/basetypes.schema
>
> It has the following regular expressions for "fqdn" (fully qualified domain
> names), hostnames and domain names:
>

> <typedef name="hostname"        type="re"
>  data="^[A-Za-z0-9][A-Za-z0-9\-]*(\\.[A-Za-z0-9][A-Za-z0-9\-]*)*$"
> />

I've tried to modify it here but I think I'm not good at regexps, I tried
some
changes, restarted cced and even logged in and out the panel and problem
still persists. Could anyone help with a proper regexp, please?

I agree that this may be kept in full accordance with RFC in default
configuration, but I think information on a such simple hack may also
help other users facing similar problems.  Before asking a question
on a mailing list I googled a bit and found trouble ticket regarding the
same problem with 5106R so I hereby second this :)

http://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/ticket/283

greetings
Radek