[BlueOnyx:10725] Re: Kickstart error during install of BlueOnyx 5108R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jun 4 21:59:18 -05 2012

Hi Herb,

> I finally had a chance to boot into rescue mode. It did activate the
> network with the built in Broadcom NetXtreme 5709 Dual Port Gigabit
> Ethernet NIC as em1 instead of eth0.
>
> What can I do about this to get it to install on this dell server?

Please try this, as I would be interested to know if it works:

1.) Edit /lib/udev/rules.d/71-biosdevname.rules and commend out the Dell
whitelist line.

2.) Remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
/etc/udev/rules.d/90*.rules if they exist.

3.) Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf

The Kernel lines in it look a bit like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/root noapic

At the end of your kernel line(s) put this:

biosdevname=0

So taking the above example it would look like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/root noapic
biosdevname=0

The biosdevname line got wrapped by my email client. It goes into the same
line as "kernel /vmlinuz ...."

4.) Reboot and see what it does. Also check "ls /sys/class/net", "ifconfig -a"
and "dmesg" after the reboot to see what they report about the network
interfaces.

All in all this is a bit frustrating. I do not have a Dell for testing and I
already tried to walk someone who had a similar problem with a Dell 710
through doing this. We tried various approaches and the above one *should*
possibly work, but it didn't.