[BlueOnyx:10753] Re: Vsites on External HDD

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jun 8 01:56:24 -05 2012

Hi Marcello,

> Is it possible to address the sites home directory to an external
> hdd?
>
> Some of you can answer me saying "Change the document root in the
> vsite conf file" but i was thinking if it was possible to implement
> this behavior in the admin control panel so it makes automatically
> sites on the external disk.

No, at this time there are no supported medthods to store Vsites
anywhere else but under the /home directory.

The Cobalt Cube had the GUI option to allow you to add a storage device
(extra hard disk or network mounted share) and to use it to put sites on
it. However, this had shortcommings: Once a site was created to reside
on that extra storage device, it could not be moved.

The GUI for Vsite management still has some provisions in place that
would allow to change the placement of Vsites, but due to the missing
base-storage module (which the Qube used) and due to changes that were
made to base-vsite over the years these povisions will not work out of
the box.

In the longer run we might add a working support for extra storage
devices again - including iSCSI and other methods. But for the short run
the best you can do yourself is to change the document root of the Vsite
manually to point to where you want to have it.

--

With best regards,