[BlueOnyx:10779] Re: Blue Onyx 5106R Crash

Wisja.net info at wisja.net
Wed Jun 13 08:07:12 -05 2012

Hi Bill,

I will try to anwser some of the last questions:

Is the server bad - Probably not, but there is a very small possibility it is.
Is the cable bad - Dont think so, that would result in read/write errors, not bad
sectors.
could I have had 2 bad HD's in a row. - Yes, that is very much possible, why do you
use 20 or 80GB drives? Are you sure they are new (and haven't been laying somewhere on
a shelf for a long time)
Could a bad cable cause it to have exihibited these problems? No see 2.
Or could it be the server? No dont think so, see 1
What about memory? No that will never break a HDD, impossible.
It has never crashed or rebooted in the months - thats also why I dont believe it to
be the server (or memory) self.

So to be short, run an hdd diagnostic tool, most of the manufacturers have tools for
testing "death" drives. It must be recognized by the BIOS in order to work if its not
even recognized then all (normal) hope is lost.

Wisja

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:44:35 -0400, Bill Hicks wrote