[BlueOnyx:10869] Re: Web Ownership

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jun 25 17:20:41 -05 2012

DD wrote:
>> I have tried this on several occassions for WP and it seems to be a hit and
> miss.
>
> Hi David,
>
> My problem is that I have users with WordPress as only part of their site.
> If I have the wp-content folder owned by Apache then the user can upload
> files via the admin panel as well as FTP to other areas of the site. I
> imagine if I had all WP files owned by apache:apache then they could update
> the engine as well.

We run all sorts of WordPress sites.  Sites that we construct for
customers, sites that our customers do on their own.  Combinations of
the above.  You name it.  In all cases we run the sites in suPHP and set
the owner as a site admin.  In all cases, it just works, every time.

Is your problem with updates to either WordPress core or Plug-ins or
both?  If that is the case, then something you may want to consider is
adding the FTP info to the wp-config.php file.  To do so, add the following:
// ** FTP settings - for better upgrading of WP ** //

define('FS_METHOD', 'ftpsockets');
define('FTP_BASE', '../../../web/');
define('FTP_CONTENT_DIR', '/wp-content/');
define('FTP_PLUGIN_DIR ', '/wp-content/plugins/');
define('FTP_USER', 'SiteAdminUserHere');
define('FTP_PASS', 'ThePasswordGoesHere');
define('FTP_HOST', 'localhost');

Using the above techniques, we find that WordPress will "just work", all
the time.  No mysteries.

HTH
--
Chris Gebhardt