[BlueOnyx:10900] Re: domains with non alphabetic characters?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jun 28 11:45:48 -05 2012

Ken - Precision Web Hosting, Inc wrote:

> Is it possible to enter domains in the GUI that have the character   "ä" in
> them?

It would not appear to be possible.  The GUI will kick it out.  It also
appears to reject ASCII escape codes, such as the equivalent ä   My
guess as to the reasoning is that the GUI is programmed to kick out the
special characters.   It wasn't until fairly recently that ICANN allowed
the utilization of non-Latin characters / special characters in TLDs,
and remember that the underlying Sausalito code that we're relying on
predates that 2009 decision by a fair number of years!

However, since non-Latin characters / special characters in TLDs are
sure to proliferate as adoption increases, we will probably want to see
if that is a behavior that can be modified.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services