[BlueOnyx:10916] Strange sendmail behavior

Chad Bersche chad at bersche.com
Sat Jun 30 12:24:59 -05 2012

I'm having a strange problem with my sendmail, and am wondering if there
might be any gurus that can tell me why this is happening. Searches on
my own have not yielded anything definitive.

I updated my DNS provider yesterday, and as part of that update, the DNS
provider created mx host entries (i.e. mx.domainname.com) that pointed
to their mail forwarding service (which I do use).  However, the odd
thing is that after this happened, I notice in my outgoing mail log that
the relay host is now using mx.domainname.com rather than the Smart
Relay host that I had set up (and which I want outgoing mail routed
through).

My question is this:  Why would sendmail use relay=mx.domainname.com
when a Smart Relay host has been set up?  How can I stop this behavior?
I've hacked around it for right now with a host entry that points
mx.domainname.com to the IP address of my smart relay host, but that's a
true hack, and one that I don't think I should have to make.  I also
need to keep the mx.domainname.com entries in my DNS so that my external
mail fowarding/spam filter can process the mail before it routes to me...

Any help or recommendations very much appreciated!

   -- Chad