[BlueOnyx:09820] Re: LVM

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Mar 16 21:39:55 -05 2012

Hi Dudi,

> Is there a way to avoid LVM when installing a fresh 5107R?
>
> I have no use for LVM here, so I'd like to avoid the extra layer.

For BlueOnyx we made LVM the default, as it allows for easier
resizing of partitions in the long run.

A typical BlueOnyx install has six partitions, so I opted for LVM, which
allows this. Whereas - if you don't use LVM - you can only have four primary
partitions.

To get around this one would need to use extended partitions with logical
volumes in them.

As it is our kickstart.cf on the CD is already pretty complex. It determines
the number of hard disks and  how big they are. If you have one disks you get
LVM. With two disks you get RAID1 with LVM on top. If you have four disks you
get RAID0+1 with a pretty complex LVM on top of that.

The RAID0+1 for example is ONLY possible with LVM.

So not using LVM would eleminate that possibility. Granted: It is a rarely
used and underperforming option to begin with. But it was specifically
requested.

Still: The kickstart script that either removes LVM or adds non-LVM as an
option would be pretty complex. And it would need to be tested thoroughly
covering all the various hardware options.

I'm still waiting for someone to send me such a kickstart script and I'd
happily include it on the CD.

But personally I see no benefit of not using LVM to begin with. The only case
where it's beneficial not to have LVM is when you want to mount the disks of
your server in another box for data rescue purposes. Which is a bit besides
the point. Because you should have backups anyway and you can of course also
fire up the box (which the disks are plugged into) in rescue mode off the
BlueOnyx CD and can let the CD auto-mount the partitions. You can even do so
with enabled network support to copy the data off the disks over the network
to another box.

So long story short: Due to the complexity of the required kickstart script
that supports both LVM and non-LVM in all hardware configurations this
currently isn't an option.