[BlueOnyx:09938] Re: CCE DNS Hanging

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Fri Mar 30 06:24:48 -05 2012

On 3/30/2012 8:04 AM, Matt James wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was recently making an update to our secondary DNS server to update
> existing DnsSlaveZone objects with a new "masters" IP value.
>
> After running the script, I refreshed the Secondary DNS list in the
> GUI to find that none of the records had been updated with the new
> value.  After looking into it, it turned out that the code was
> attempting to create new DnsSlaveZone objects with duplicate
> information to existing objects.  Once I discovered that, I decided to
> clear out all DnsSlaveZone objects and re-populate the list from a
> master list of domains in the Primary DNS server.  After running
> /that/ script, I found that one of my Secondary DNS entries remained.
>
> Now, no matter what I do, I'm unable to make any changes to the CCE
> database even directly through the GUI.  If I attempt to edit and save
> the remaining Secondary DNS record, the GUI hangs upon save.

Sounds like a corrupt cobalt database...

>  If I attempt to run my script, the script hangs.  If I attempt to use
> the dns cleaner script written in Perl (found here
> http://oldonce.gknsonline.com/bq-dnsImport.php), the script hangs.  If
> I even attempt to disable DNS in the GUI, saving that hangs.

Yep - its pooched.

> A couple of questions:
> 1) Is there a place where I can get some debug output as to what might
> be causing the issue?
> 2) Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best way to proceed?

I wrote a script a while back while troubleshooting a similar issue for
a client... Copy of script below. When you run the script, it produces
two lists of numbers. If they are NOT the same, your database is corrupt.

First line: This is the real list of CODB objects found in the file
system by the script.
Second line: This is an index of active CODB objects. This is the list
that is broken.

Solution:

Run the script, then stop CCEd. Then edit /usr/sausalito/codb/codb.oids
and replace everything in it with ALL the data from the first list of
numbers in the script output, and save the changes.

Then restart CCEd

Hope that helps.

--------------- script starts here -------------

#!/bin/bash
LAST=-1
MIN=-1

for X in `ls /usr/sausalito/codb/objects/ | sort -n`
do
     MYNEXT=$(( $LAST + 1 ))
     if [ $MYNEXT -eq $X ]
     then
         LAST=$X
     else
         if [ $LAST -ge 1 ]
         then
             if [ $MIN -eq $LAST ]
             then
                 echo -n $LAST,
             else
                 echo -n $MIN-$LAST,
             fi
         fi
         LAST=$X
         MIN=$X
     fi
done
if [ $MYNEXT -lt $X ]
then
     echo -n $LAST
else
     echo -n $MIN-$LAST
fi
echo ""
echo "/usr/sausalito/codb/codb.oids reports:"
cat /usr/sausalito/codb/codb.oids
echo ""