[BlueOnyx:11664] HowTo upgrade Cobalt RaQ3 and RaQ4 to BlueOnyx 5106R on CentOS 5.8

David Thacker David at ThackerNet.com
Tue Nov 6 14:23:17 -05 2012

Greetings,

I recently replaced some old RaQ3 and RaQ4 servers with newer faster
hardware, running BlueOnyx 5107R on SL 6.3. Not wanting the old blue
appliances to feel left out, I then worked through the process of
upgrading them to run BlueOnyx 5106R on CentOS 5.8.

Of course, while the BlueOnyx software is fully modern, actively
maintained and up to date, the Cobalt RaQ hardware is definitely old and
tired and a wee bit slow. Still, they're at least useful for simple
hosting or backup tasks.

I started with George (aka Mr. Webcam) Hall's instructions for upgrading
the RaQ550s to BX, but found there were some differences for the older
RaQ3 & RaQ4 machines, primarily the difference between the i586 platform
vs i686. Anyway, with a fair bit of searching, testing, and patience I was
ultimately successful. I've written up the whole process, in case anyone
else wants to try the same thing.

http://www.thackernet.com/RaQtoBX/RAQ34_to_BlueOnyx.html

No warranties, ymmv, etc. Have fun!

Regards,

dAvid tHacker                                  Email: David at ThackerNet.com
Thacker Network Technologies Inc.                Http://www.ThackerNet.com