[BlueOnyx:11666] Re: HowTo upgrade Cobalt RaQ3 and RaQ4 to BlueOnyx 5106R on CentOS 5.8

David Thacker David at ThackerNet.com
Tue Nov 6 20:27:36 -05 2012

Hi George,

> I'd be happy to work with you to incorporate info on what I've
> found/done
> into your document.  I made some notes for myself as I went along,
> though
> a lot was the sort of shot-in-the-dark kinds of approach, especially at

Absolutely! Glad you found it useful. 99.5% of it is copied from the works
of others.

> It would be *really* great if we could come up with a BX-RAQ one-shot
> iso-sort of Blue Onyx core update package now that StrongBolt, RackStar
> and original Cobalt sources have all dried up.

Yeah, that would be nice. I think the holy grail would be something like:

- Cobalt ROM update that enables boot from USB key or USB CDROM
- Ability to then use the standard BlueOnyx ISO installer like on more
modern boxes

As it is, it's a bit time consuming. But really, the RaQs are more in the
hobby category now anyway so spending a bit of time on it is okay. It's
not like there's a commercial market waiting for the solution -- that
shipped sailed some time ago! Anyway, I'd prefer to see commercial dollars
spent on the various BlueOnyx add-on offerings, to keep the BlueOnyx
platform healthy and active.

Regards,

dAvid tHacker                                  Email: David at ThackerNet.com
Thacker Network Technologies Inc.                Http://www.ThackerNet.com