[BlueOnyx:11720] Re: help with /var/log/messages? dns issue?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 28 17:54:29 -05 2012

On 11/28/2012 4:43 PM, webmaster wrote:
> I unchecked the box after Chris recommended it but sure enough after
> some time... clients were calling, mail was stuck in the q, and I Was
> NOT able to ping any machine outside my simple two machine network.

SNIP

> Notes:
>

> Machine 1
> cabin1.oldcabin.net
> 69.8.136.252
> (hosts web and email)
>
> tcp/ip setup snip for machine 1
> I have the ip 69.8.136.202 entered into the "DNS Servers" area in the GUI.
> (If I remove this this machine can not ping the world)

Option #1:  The best solution would be to use the DNS servers that your
ISP provides you with.  It looks like your ISP is "Badger Internet".
Contact them for that information.  They should have that readily available.

Option #2:  If you can't get recursion from your ISP (which would be
very strange, we offer no fewer than 4 recursive servers for our
customers) then use some public DNS servers.   Favorites seem to be:
4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2
8.8.4.4
8.8.8.8

Option #3: As George F. Nemeyer has already suggested, leave the
recursion enabled on your BlueOnyx box.  But then be sure to limit the
recursion to your local IP's or CIDR.

What you should NOT be doing is using your localhost as a recursive
server.  That's just not a good idea.  Stay away from that for the
reasons that have already been posted in this thread.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services