[BlueOnyx:11486] Network interface problem

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Thu Oct 4 15:34:50 -05 2012

Had a hardware failure last night… My trusty, dusty Dimension 5150 finally croaked. So, to get my hobby server up again, I swapped the drives into a spare Optiplex GX 620. Booted with no problems, or so I thought…

I get an admin mail stating that eth1 is down (eth1 is my on-board nic, set to local IP). When I look at my active interfaces, I have loop,  eth0 (3com pci card, public IP) and a p2p1 which is down. Defined interfaces are eth0, eth1, and loop.

Also getting swatch emails stating:

/usr/sausalito/swatch/bin/am_network.sh: line 64: [: too many arguments

Google states that there has been a change in hardware naming, and I guess I'm getting caught in changing hardware after OS install. They suggest adding a line to grub.conf (biosdevname=0).

Will this set me straight? What are the suggestions of the group? At the moment this only kills my nightly ftp backup to my other server over LAN, which I would really like to get back…

Thanks in advance!
Jeff