[BlueOnyx:11539] Re: htaccess user auth strange behaviour

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Oct 15 13:49:42 -05 2012

Hi David,

> Here's the strange part on my BX5107 system: even if I list a specific
> username in the Require valid-user line of the .htaccess file, it will
> authorize ANY valid user! It does not restrict access to the listed users
> only! So my line:
>
>   Require valid-user joeuser
>
> is in fact admitting any user with a valid username and password on the
> system, not just joeuser.

Yeah, the README provided with the authentication is indeed a bit
incorrect. Stephanie recently sent me an updated version which lists the
correct methods. I haven't had a chance to publish it yet, but here is
the info from it:

1) Basic configuration for any users:

	AuthType Basic
	AuthName <authname>
	AuthBasicProvider external
	AuthExternal pwauth
	Require valid-user

2) Only allow 1 specific user to authenticate

	AuthType Basic
	AuthName <authname>
	AuthBasicProvider external
	AuthExternal pwauth
	Require user <username1> <username2>

3) Allow group authentication

	AuthType Basic
	AuthName <authname>
	AuthBasicProvider external
	AuthExternal pwauth
	GroupExternal unixgroup
	Require group <groupname1> <groupname2>

So "require valid-user" indeed lets any valid user in. What you're
looking for is in example #2.