[BlueOnyx:11572] Re: Sendmail Authentication errors

Will Nordmeyer will at wnahosting.com
Mon Oct 22 05:56:17 -05 2012

> From: Larry Smith
 > Subject: [BlueOnyx:11571] Re: Sendmail
Authentication errors [2]
 > Newsgroups:
gmane.linux.devices.blueonyx.user [3]
 > Date: 2012-10-21 21:08:41 GMT
(13 hours and 42 minutes ago)

> On Sun October 21 2012 14:48, Will
Nordmeyer wrote:
> > > Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:43:34 -0600
> > > From:
"David Thacker"
> > > Subject: [BlueOnyx:11566] Re: Sendmail
Authentication errors
> > > To: "BlueOnyx General Mailing List"

> > >> Suddenly,
with no real changes by me, I've got a few users who try to
mail either via outlook or their iphone and they get 'Relaying

denied. Proper authentication required.'

their mail and then do a send, but it still occurs.

end (because I had limited debug time) I had to put their IP in

access as a RELAY.

suddenly happen?

> > > Another cause of this behaviour may be if
the user's account or their IP
> > > address (host) is blocked due to
excessive failed logins.

> > > Log in to the server as admin, and
go to the Security > Failed Logins
> > > menu. If you see those users on
either the Blocked Hosts tab or the
> > > Blocked Users tab, click on
the "Reset all blocks" button to unblock
> > > them.
> > >
> > > dAvid
tHacker Email:
> > > David at ... [6] Thacker Network Technologies Inc.
>
> > Http://www.ThackerNet.com [7]
> >
> > David,
> >
> > Thanks for the
thought - I'd checked and there were not host blocks or
> > user blocks.
I just don't see why it just started up in the past 3-4
> > days.
> >

> If you are running poprelayd, then login (ssh) and make sure it is
running
> and that their IP address is listed as a valid relay (after
they check mail).
> (command is poprelayd -p)
> Better solution is to
move them the authenticated (SMTP-AUTH, port 587)
> then you don't have
to worry about poprelay (as much)...

> I have also had a few servers
I had to manually enable "DELAY_CHECKS"
> parameter in sendmail.mc so
that it checks the poprelay and smtp-auth
> before checking from RBL
listed hosts.

> --
> Larry Smith
> lesmith at ... [8]

Larry,

Thanks
for the idea. I checked poprelayd (it is running) and it has no data
when I do a poprelayd -p. I'll contact her to shift to port 587... I
still wish I could figure out why this suddenly started. And why it is
only really affecting one or two users.

Links:
------
[1]