[BlueOnyx:11612] Re: 5108R Bug Report: NTP Settings

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 25 21:20:23 -05 2012

Hi Dan,

> I'm sure you know this one but it is a bug and should be fixed.

No, I wasn't aware of that. Actually the NTP stuff hasn't change in
ages, so I'm not sure how long this one has been around.

> 1) Trying to set the NTP server in the GUI to "0.uk.pool.ntp.org" which
> is a valid timeserver results in no timeserver being saved.

Yeah, it's a long story. According to RFC's hostnames must not start
with a number. The checks of the GUI that verify a hostname or a FQDN
therefore don't allow it. Of course there are some host and/or domain
names in the wild that violate the RFCs.

> 2) Setting the NTP server in the GUI to "ntp.demon.co.uk" works however
> viewing /etc/ntp.conf shows that three additional servers are also set
> up (*.rhel.pool.ntp.org).  This rather makes a farce of the GUI settings
> page!

Meh. Yeah, the extra NTP servers shouldn't be there. Must be some kind
of a default that gets thrown in. I'll check that.

> 3) Removing a valid timeserver from the GUI makes the server disappear
> from the GUI but inspecting /etc/ntp.conf still shows the server as listed.

The extra servers are still present? That's probably no surprise. What
about the one you removed via the GUI? Is that gone then?