[BlueOnyx:11647] Re: DNS listen on multiple IPs?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Oct 31 18:00:06 -05 2012

David Thacker wrote:
>>> Anyway, I just realized that this "DNS alias" behaviour, where DNS
>>> service
>>> would listen on multiple IPs on the same box does not seem to work on
>>> my
>>> BX server (that replaced the RaQ).
>> Um... really?  Because I'm pretty sure it's listening on all configured
>> IP's on all the boxes that we run.  This applies to 5106R and 5108R.
>> --
>> Chris Gebhardt
>
> Greetings Chris,
>
> My box is 5107R, and it really did only listen/respond on the main server
> IP until I added that config option. I would see this:
>
> [root at r4 ~]# nslookup -q=a lfga.ca 207.34.56.193
>
> Okay, now this is weird! It is now magically working on all of the IPs on
> that box, without the "listen-on" config option!!
>
> Now I see:
>
> [root at r4 ~]# nslookup -q=a lfga.ca 207.34.56.193
> Server:         207.34.56.193
> Address:        207.34.56.193#53
>
> Name:   lfga.ca
> Address: 207.34.56.202
>
> which is just what I wanted to begin with.
>
> All's well that ends well :-)

Hi David,
Yeah, well I'm glad it's working for you, at any rate.

FWIW, we've been using roughly the same DNS architecture since the days
of the RaQ2.   We configure the DNS on the hosting machines in the GUI,
and then we have our public nameservers slave the zones from those.  On
our public nameservers, we set them to pull the zones from whatever the
IP its respective hosted site is.   It's always "just worked."  :)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services