[BlueOnyx:12768] Re: Unauthorized Relaying

Eric Peabody admin at bnserve.com
Wed Apr 3 14:30:04 -05 2013

Frank,

I'll suggest doing the following:

 1. Stop sendmail for a moment while you do the next two steps
 2. Add a line in /etc/mail/access to block the outgoing email address
    like, "From:busted at sad.com  REJECT".  Then run make in /etc/mail.
    That will stop any further outgoing messages while you work on the
    problem.
 3. Clear the outgoing mail queue of spam from that sender.  Run mailq
    to get the stuff in the queue and delete the nasty files.  Note
    there are two files for each message, one starting with "df" and one
    with "qf".
 4. Start sendmail and watch the log to be sure that mail from that
    account does not go out
 5. Change the user name and password for the account.  I suggest
    changing the user name because the spammers are likely to continue
    to try sending with that account and pam_abl will block the account,
    preventing the valid user from accessing mail.  Also suggest picking
    a user name that is somewhat unusual and different from the email
    address.  For example, for "frank at happyplace.com", a user name of
    "happyfrank" would be much better than just "frank" and makes
    guessing more difficult.
 6. Remove the line from /etc/mail/access and run make and restart sendmail

We too have seen a large increase in attacks through sendmail AUTH
recently.  The accounts compromised did not use encrypted connections
and I recommend that you require users to use encrypted connections as
soon as possible.  Of course, getting folks to change settings like this
is a challenge.

Since sendmail uses saslauthd for authentication and the API between
them does not include the IP address, error messages are limited.  I've
been matching on the "did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during
connection to MSA" message which sendmail produces when an
authentication fails and includes an IP address.  Messages in
/var/log/secure are not especially helpful and there is some delay
between the logging in secure and maillog so matching the events is
difficult.

I also cranked down the number of allowed recipients to limit the damage
and wrote an informal script to send a text message to me if that limit
is exceeded.  If I find the time to solidify it, I'll post it. The
spammers usually try to send to a fairly large number of  recipients,
perhaps 25, and if that fails, reduce the number until they get
through.  By monitoring for the "Too many" messages in maillog, I get an
early warning of a compromised account.

We installed fail2ban on our servers and continue to tweak the
configuration.  It has been a lot of work but it has significantly
reduced the activity from the spammers since it blocks them pretty
quickly.  However, the absence of any user interface and the need for
some programming skills makes it difficult to use.

We also use fail2ban to monitor for attacks against Wordpress sites and
have had a number of detections from that filter so this is good for
more than mail.

While fail2ban is a good tool, it needs some improvements such as being
able to restart it without loosing track of what it has done, a way to
remove a banned address and better status and reporting tools in
addition to an improved user interface.  I guess if you like iptables,
you'll love fail2ban ;).

Eric