[BlueOnyx:12838] Re: Yum update not connecting - fixed

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Apr 14 17:57:49 -05 2013

Hi all,

>> PYCURL ERROR 7 - "couldn't connect to host"
>> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: BlueOnyx
>
> That's exactly what I got - from all our servers here.

Yeah, I was working on the YUM repositories and made a little snafu that
caused an outage.

It's all good now.

On updates.blueonyx.it we had a Varnish Cache answering on port 80. It
then redirected all cacheable calls to the cache, but all uncacheable
calls were made directly to one of two nginx installs on two different
VPS's. If one of them was not responding, it was taken out of the loop
until it would come back.

The obvious single point of failure is naturally the single front facing
Varnish Cache. It has has surprisingly few issues so far, but with the
amount of hits we get I wanted to bolt on a bit more redundancy.

So there is now a second Varnish Cache set up and I also added a second
A Record for "updates.blueonyx.it":

[mstauber at beast ~]$ nslookup updates.blueonyx.it
Server:         XXXXX
Address:        XXXXX#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   updates.blueonyx.it
Address: 208.77.221.206
Name:   updates.blueonyx.it
Address: 38.114.102.12

The net effect of this is as follows: Whenever you now connect to
"updates.blueonyx.it", the DNS lookup will point you to one of two
separate Varnish Caches, which in turn poll multiple responding "real"
mirrors to present the updates you're looking for.