[BlueOnyx:12914] Re: Email question

Steven Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Thu Apr 25 07:26:38 -05 2013

On 25 Apr 2013, at 12:44, Hans Draaisma - Netvictory B.V. wrote:
> I recently got this question also from one of our customers  ;-)
> Strange that this function is not implemented in Roundcube indeed. Also you can't forward more than one mail in one go in Roundcube using the standard install.

There's a reason behind it - mbox. The way it's stored on the server is anything that contains mail is a file. So you have an inbox file, a sent items file etc. Each of those is a load of messages stored in a single file. Now if you make a new folder, you're making a new file which can contain messages. So to create a sub folder you're infact trying to create a file under a file - obviously in filesystem land this doesn't work. Squirrelmail / some other mail clients can work around this by calling the folder something else, I can't remember exactly what it is, but it adds some sort of suffix/prefix to it (so you 'filing' folder is called 'filing.folder' and the messages in a file called 'filing'.

Bit confusing but it does make sense if you understand what's happening behind the scenes. RoundCube talks via IMAP (in most cases), and I'm not sure Dovecot supports making stuff like this (but I could be talking nonsense, feel free to correct me!)

Steve