[BlueOnyx:12916] Re: Email question

Drew Happli drew at happli.org
Thu Apr 25 09:02:00 -05 2013

I run RoundCube (not on a BlueOnxy server though) and I have created
Folders within folders. In fact this week I created a folder under my
Fail2Ban folder for IP's that have been blocked, and another one for if
I have to restart Fail2Ban after making changes.

I am using version
0.8.1, I haven't upgraded to .0.9.x yet.

Drew.

On 04/25/2013 9:55
am, jeffrey Pellin - PX2 wrote:

> What Squirrelmail does is create a
disk folder for the top level where the message folders are filed, and
also creates further disk folders in the .imap folder - all in the user
email folder (too many folders in that sentence).

> Where I have
imported IMAP accounts directly from other servers the folders, etc seem
to come in OK.

> It just seems that for some reason RC doesn't do
this - or maybe it does but is configured not to.

> ---
>
> JEFFREY
PELLIN
> Director
>
> JEFFREY PELLIN CONSULTANCY LTD [2] WORK: 01692
558226
> MOBILE: 07768 451738
> EMAIL: jeffrey at pellin.co.uk

PROFESSIONAL PROFILE [3]

Hans Draaisma - Netvictory B.V. wrote:

>>> I recently got this
question also from one of our customers ;-) Strange that this function
is not implemented in Roundcube indeed. Also you can't forward more than
one mail in one go in Roundcube using the standard install.

There's a reason behind it - mbox. The way it's stored on the server is
anything that contains mail is a file. So you have an inbox file, a sent
items file etc. Each of those is a load of messages stored in a single
file. Now if you make a new folder, you're making a new file which can
contain messages. So to create a sub folder you're infact trying to
create a file under a file - obviously in filesystem land this doesn't
work. Squirrelmail / some other mail clients can work around this by
calling the folder something else, I can't remember exactly what it is,
but it adds some sort of suffix/prefix to it (so you 'filing' folder is
called 'filing.folder' and the messages in a file called 'filing'.

>> Bit confusing but it does make sense if you understand what's
happening behind the scenes. RoundCube talks via IMAP (in most cases),
and I'm not sure Dovecot supports making stuff like this (but I could be
talking nonsense, feel free to correct me!)

>> Steve

Links:
------
[1]