[BlueOnyx:12202] PHP5.4 breaks Squirrelmail

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sat Feb 16 00:57:20 -05 2013

The customer that needed PHP5.4 for his website has found that now
Squirrelmail breaks.  It is likely due to some deprecated calls being
completely dropped from 5.4.

Here's what is presented at login:
  Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_register() in
/usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/global.php on line 253

FWIW, http://squirrelmail.org/ does mention PHP5.4 compatibility.
However, since we're pulling Squirrelmail out of the CentOS repo for
5106R, my guess is we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for that to get
pushed out to us.  Especially when you consider that CentOS 5 will not
be offering PHP5.4.

Would it be easier to patch Squirrelmail to work properly on the new
PHP, or to have Squirrelmail run on the PHP 5.1 that the GUI already
runs on?   Comments?
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services