[BlueOnyx:12264] Blocking brute force SSH, FTP, SMTP attempts by Fail2ban

Eiji Hamano bluequartz at hypersys.ne.jp
Wed Feb 20 03:58:50 -05 2013

Hi  all

Although it is frequently subject in this thread,
I want to ask the right or wrong of Fail2ban on BO.

In my case,
Fail2ban raised responses of machines dramatically.
So I want to write the how to Fail2ban in BO.

This is a sample, how to doload, install and Go.
  http://www.hypersys.ne.jp/samples/fail2ban/InstallandGo.html

Of course I know Fail2ban cannot defense Ddos attack.

However,
since Ddos defense is possible by some iptables definitions.
So Fail2ban may be suitable for defense for BO, at this time.

According to [BlueOnyx:01727],
Michael may not allow Fail2ban.
For me, it is worries for a while.

Eiji Hamano