[BlueOnyx:12269] Re: Kernel 0-day vulnerability + SSHd Spam Exploit (libkeyutils.so.1.9)

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Feb 21 00:34:23 -05 2013

On 2/20/2013 8:17 AM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> ### A WHOLE LOT OF HELPFUL INFORMATION ###

Hi Michael & Dan,
Thanks for the research and sharing of the information.  I think that
it's helpful.

What I have done for our hosting network is created an ACL at the
gateway router that restricts access to port 22 to only a couple of our
IPs (our office LAN and one remote system).   Note that works best when
you've got a static IP that you access your server(s) from.

Any VIRTBIZ dedicated server or colocation customers that would like to
discuss adding some similar restrictions at the gateway level, please
touch base with me or Darryl off-list.  There are a couple of
considerations that we'll want to cover before just rolling it in for you.

Blocking with an ACL at a routing level is one of a handful of
techniques that can be leveraged effectively.  I don't present it as the
"only" or "best" option, since the "best" option will be the one that
works most cleanly and efficiently for your particular purposes and set
of circumstances.   In the case of our hosting network, it seems to be a
pretty sensible option.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services