[BlueOnyx:13964] Re: Python 3

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Nov 1 15:14:49 -05 2013

Hi Dan,

> Has anyone got any nice install instructions for Python 3 on 5108R?
>
> I hear that a straight install will break a lot of the system :-/

Uuuh yeah. In the book "How to break your server" it's probably listed
prominently on page one.

A lot of things need Python and that includes YUM.

I once went through this, but on a CentOS 5 box without BlueOnyx
installed. Wasn't pretty. Even though I tried to install it in
/home/python3 to not make it interfere with the "stock" Python.

The problem then was that Python 3 has a lot of dependencies which an
older system won't satisfy. This might even be true for a CentOS6 or
SL6, as it's also already showing a bit of its age.

What is it that needs Python 3?