[BlueOnyx:13993] key-based auth for ssh user?

Brian M toomanyhandles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 15:13:50 -05 2013

Hi all;

I have a need for to add key-based auth for one user.

I have edited /etc/ssh/sshd-config and enabled pubkey auth and the path for
the keyfile.

if I create the user via useradd -m their directory gets created in /home
but adding a key to the keyfile I specified does not allow access.

If I try this for a user I created on a vsite via the blueonyx UI, their
account gets made in
/home/.sites/blah/users  but adding the keyfile there also fails to procide
access.
/var/log/secure indicates that the /home/.sites path auth attempt fails due
to bad ownership or modes, which isn't surprising as much of the path is
owned by root

What do I need to do to get this up and running?  I don't really care if
its for a user created via the UI or via the plain old useradd command.

I set this up on a BSD box in the meantime, no issues.

Thanks for thoughts-

Brian.