[BlueOnyx:14013] Re: Problem setting interface alias netmask to 255.255.255.255

Menno Jansz menno at jansz.com
Wed Nov 13 08:15:24 -05 2013

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 06:24:41 -0600, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet
<cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com> wrote:
> Hi Menno,
> I may bring a bit of a different perspective to the table here, which is

> that of a service provider.   In that case, regarding the request to set

> your netmask to 255.255.255.255, I say "what the what?!?!"
>
> That ranks right up there as one of the strangest things I have heard.
> 255.255.255.255 is not a proper netmask for a routeable IP address, and
> their request just does not make sense.   They're within their rights to

> ask you not to use a /24 netmask (255.255.255.0), but then again, if
> they have you properly subnetted, that would never be a problem for them

> (although it could cause issues on your end).
>
> I would advise you to reply back to them to provide you the ACTUAL
> netmask to use for the IP's provided, or don't bother with blocking the
> IP's, you'll take your business to a provider who will get you actual IP

> assignments.
>
> The IP addresses they gave you are clearly in a subnet of some type.
> Their refusal to tell you what that subnet is baffles me.   If I had to
> guess, I'd say that they are simply handing you IP addresses out of an
> allocation without concern as to subnetting.  That screams "amateur" to
> me.  The heavy-handed response about blocking your access because they
> have failed to instruct you on a proper netmask has, as you may be able
> to tell, set my teeth on edge.

Hi Chris,

My host is OVH, and in their email to me and in their forum they actually
state it the users fault for a bad configuration.

They hand out the IP's without a netmask, unless you buy a larger block.

They state to use 255.255.255.255 in their instructions for aliased ips at
http://help.ovh.co.uk/IpAlias and say it's important that you use the good
netmask and the right broadcast in
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4255 !

And yes, I'm not to happy they threaten to block access in 24hrs,
especially as my server has been setup like this for years.

Cheers,
Menno