[BlueOnyx:14015] Re: Problem setting interface alias netmask to 255.255.255.255

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 13 08:42:51 -05 2013

On 11/13/2013 7:22 AM, Menno Jansz wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:21:14 -0500, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>
> wrote:
>

>> Start this program: /usr/sausalito/bin/cceclient
>>
>> It allows you to manipulate the CODB database backend of the GUI.
>>

> Many thanks Michael, that worked fine.

I'm glad that Michael's fix got you running again.

That doesn't excuse the provider's insistance that you use the host
route (aka /32, aka 255.255.255.255 netmask).   That still continues not
to make any sense to me, other than it is an inexpensive way for them to
hand out multiple IP addresses without the overhead of subnetting.   But
then they also deprive their customers of the BENEFITS of subnetting.

Please do understand that the fix you got from Michael in effect
"breaks" the completely valid rule that BlueOnyx has with the netmask
check.   If I appeared agitated in my previous message, it's only
because it drives me crazy when the proposed solution to a problem is to
break something else.   And in this case, it's the provider policy that
is broken.

In any event, I am happy that you are running with a solution that
should prevent the provider from shutting you down.   You might take the
opportunity to inquire with other parties about options that might be
available that will get you the dedicated server you are looking for
with a real block of IP addresses that will not result in having to
break BlueOnyx in the process.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services