[BlueOnyx:14016] Re: Problem setting interface alias netmask to 255.255.255.255

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 13 08:50:47 -05 2013

Hey Michael,

On 11/13/2013 6:38 AM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
>> That screams "amateur" to me.
>
> Hehehe ... I didn't want to say it that bluntly, but yeah ... that
> thought also crossed my mind. ;-)

Yeah, well I suppose people are going to wonder "why did Chris wake up
in such a foul mood?"   :)   LOL....  I think I just neglected to
activate the "polite filter" this morning.

So I shall go brew a cup of coffee and activate politeness filtering.

But the suggestion to have a customer use a /32 for anything other than
router-to-router communication still drives me bonkers.  Thinking about
the record-keeping necessary on the host's end to keep track of a bunch
of random IP addresses that are assigned willy-nilly to various
customers makes my head spin.  Since they're clearly not using proper
subnets, and therefore not splitting traffic into VLANs, I can only
imagine they are using some sort of MAC restrictions.  Good grief...

See?  Maybe I really do need that coffee...

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services