[BlueOnyx:14032] Re: Problem setting interface alias net mask to 255.255.255.255

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 13 15:07:11 -05 2013

Hi Chuck,

On 11/13/2013 1:51 PM, Chuck Tetlow wrote:
> I'm not saying this is a optimal solution.  But it does have advantages
> over using subnets.  For example - if you have the main server interface
> and all the virtuals in a single subnet, what do you do when you run out
> of IPs??  So if he had a /29 (255.255.255.248) network - he'd only have
> five available IPs.  One for the server, and four available for virtual
> sites.  So what does he do when a fifth customer is ready to come
> on-board (wanting a real-world IP)??  Uh Oh!  That could be a nightmare
> of changing all the IPs when the ISP gives him a new /28 subnet (then
> you also have to change the DNS for all of the existing customers, each
> customer has to update their apps that used IPs instead of names,
> etc....).  WHEW - what a nightmare!

Um, not really.   You tell your provider you need more IP addresses, and
you get another /29, or another /28, or whatever it is that you need &
can justify, and then that gets assigned into your VLAN.   We have
customers with multiple non-contiguous IP ranges assigned to them, and
there is no portability problem or usage issue.   We do it all the time.

If you're an "IP poor" provider and don't have adequate allocations, or
for some reason can't get them from your RIR, then you might have to
scrimp and save every last individual IP address.

And true enough, the world is fast running out of available IPv4.  We
also run native IPv6 on our network, and IPv6 continues to become more
mainstream, which will considerably lighten the problem of IP scarcity.
   But that's another discussion for another day.

In this case, the OP appears to have his immediate problem solved by
instituting Michael's kludge.  No slight against Michael... but I
continue to contend it's a matter of breaking BlueOnyx to mold to a bad
resource management scheme forced by the OP's provider.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services