[BlueOnyx:13877] Re: BlueOnyx-5108R-CentOS-6.3: How do I setup a printer ?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Oct 16 20:31:37 -05 2013

> How do I get a printer, so that I can print the contents of server files ?

I wouldn't go through that kind of pain for just printing a few things
every now and then.

Most of the cheap ink-pissers only come only with drivers for Windows
and they will not work on anything that doesn't run a recent copy of
Windows. The printer-makers simply offloaded a lot of the printer logic
into the drivers and without them the printer is just a dumb package of
moving parts for the ink.

Which means that you'd have to go for a more expensive printer that has
some kind of Linux support. Or you'd need a network printer.

I haven't tried to install a printer manually from the CLI on Linux in
almost 20 years, because usually the Linux Desktop has pretty comfy
tools for that legwork. Regardless if the Desktop is Gnome, KDE, Unity
or whatever else.

If I had to print anything on a server, I would simply SSH or SFTP into
it from my regular desktop PC and would then just select the file in
Explorer (or its counterpart on various Linux desktops) and would print
it from there. That's a hell of a lot easier than trying to rig a
printer to a server that has no graphical desktop.

However, here are some CLI commands that you might be looking for:

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_system_administration/linux_printer_HOWTO/setup_001.html