[BlueOnyx:13886] Re: upgrade 5106R to 5108R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Oct 19 11:30:48 -05 2013

Hola Oscar,

> would consult if possible update the version BlueOnyx 5106R
> Series to version BlueOnyx 5107R/5108R Series. If possible, what
> is the procedure.

There is no documented way to "upgrade" a BlueOnyx from 5106R to
5107R/5108R without doing a reinstall from the CD.

We looked at it when 5107R/5108R came out, but there is just too much
that can break during such an upgrade.

For migrations of sites, users and settings BlueOnyx users use the "CMU
migration utility". It is a command line tool that's installed by
default on any BlueOnyx. It creates a "CMU-Dump" consisting of XML files
with the settings and compressed Tarballs with the actual data.

You can create such a "CMU-Dump" on your 5106R and then move it to a
safe place. Then you reinstall the server with the 5107R or 5108R
installation CD. Once that's done you can use CMU again to import the
"CMU-Dump". Which will recreate all sites and users with their previous
settings and data.

A very detailed description of this procedure can be found here:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=cmu-migrations

If you're not that much in a hurry: BlueOnyx 5207R/5208R will be out
sometime early next year. It'll have a new GUI interface that's also
available in Spanish. Although our Spanish translation is a bit rough at
this time.