[BlueOnyx:13895] Re: HTTPD won't start with any site set set up with SSL

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Tue Oct 22 10:24:56 -05 2013

On 10/21/2013 4:56 PM, Jim Matysek wrote:
> Trying to deploy a new 5108R to replace old 5106R. Right now the 5108R
> is behind our firewall with the VPS nodes set at internal 192.168.1.*
> IP's, but I cmuImported sites to the VPS with their real "live" IP's
> intact. If I have any sites having SSL enabled, I get the following
> error when trying to start httpd:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
> Starting httpd: [Mon Oct 21 16:42:21 2013] [warn] NameVirtualHost
> xx.xx.xx.54:80 has no VirtualHosts
> [Mon Oct 21 16:42:21 2013] [warn] NameVirtualHost xx.xx.xx.54:80 has no
> VirtualHosts
> [Mon Oct 21 16:42:21 2013] [warn] NameVirtualHost xx.xx.xx.54:80 has no
> VirtualHosts
> (99)Cannot assign requested address: make_sock: could not bind to
> address xx.xx.xx.54:443
> Unable to open logs
> [FAILED]
>
> This happens for either of two sites that are set up on separate IP's
> (.54 and .55). There is only one site trying to use SSL per IP and the
> VPS isn't using either of these IP's for itself. Running netstat -tupan
> | grep :443 gives no results, so nothing is using port 443. I checked
> the httpd conf files and the only place that is pushing out a Listen
> :443 is in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_perl.conf. I read up on past errors
> reported here like this and none of them apply.
>
> Any ideas?

I found it. For the list's history, here was the problem:

These sites are in a VPS in an Aventurin{e} cluster. I had not added the
IP addresses to the IP address allocation page for that VPS in
Aventurin{e}, so these IP's were not able to bind within the VPS. Once I
added them in Aventurin{e}, all is well.

--
Jim