[BlueOnyx:13903] Help with DNS

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Oct 23 09:58:37 -05 2013

We have a customer utilizing several BlueOnyx servers, but their DNS is
currently all handled on a Windows server on a network that has proven
to be less than reliable.   Therefore, the customer would like to
migrate their DNS to the BlueOnyx servers.

The customer has over 1000 domains.    Obviously, one way to handle this
would be to set a BX box as Secondary and slave the zone.   However, I'm
not sure how you could then "promote" the zone within BlueOnyx to be
primary (remember, the goal is to get rid of that Windows box).

Alternatively, I wonder about a script that might run through the
Windows DNS files and import them.   dnsImport.pl might work for that,
although I'll need to see about importing from the Windows records.  It
has been ages since I've subjected myself to Windows DNS so I'll need to
refresh myself on what those look like vs. BIND.

I thought I would post in case anyone has done this before and I don't
need to reinvent the wheel.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services