[BlueOnyx:13952] Re: Help with DNS

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Oct 29 17:10:18 -05 2013

Hi Chris,

> I thought I would post in case anyone has done this before and I don't
> need to reinvent the wheel.

Somehow I didn't notice this message when you posted it. So my answer
comes a few days late.

There are two ways how I would tackle this if I had to do it:

The easiest way out would be to skip Bind and to install MyDNS instead.
It's a MySQL based DNS client that some of us use. The small daemon of
MyDNS has the actual DNS records stored in a MySQL backend. MyDNS itself
is a bit ancient, but the Debian maintainers keep the sources updated.

One very easy way to populate MyDNS with DNS records is to simply do
Zone transfers. There is a Perl script included and you basically tell
the script: Query this specific DNS server. From it pull all DNS records
for the following Zones.

Can't get any easier than that.

If it has to be Bind, then things get a bit more tricky. However, as you
can export the Windows DNS zone files in textform I wouldn't wonder if
there isn't some existing script or other which allows to convert the
Windows Zonefiles into Bind9 compatible Zonefiles.

It appears that the main difference in zone files between Windows and
Bind9 is the SOA section. In that case a bit of Perl scripting could
allow an easy way out. I found a blob post with offered some input on that:

http://myitpath.blogspot.com/2011/10/migrating-windows-dns-to-linux-bind.html