[BlueOnyx:13683] Re: Load balanced BO's

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Sep 13 10:37:04 -05 2013

Hi Richard,

On 9/13/2013 9:39 AM, Richard Sidlin wrote:
> Thanks Chris. Great advice. I think they may be hoping that they are going
> to be the next Amazon! I will look into lighttpd as that sounds interesting.
> Is it easy to setup?

lighttpd wasn't all that difficult to get running.   You just set the
daemon up, configure what content you want served, then tell Apache by
setting up a proxy.  Some amount of trial & error may be necessary in
order to achieve the results you're looking for. We used a bit of a
"special sauce" for our customer that has been proven to be very
reliable and resilient to BlueOnyx's updates and so forth.

That said, keep an eye on the load on the box.   I'm not sure what your
bandwidth commit is on that box or what you have available, but my guess
is you're going to see your network start to bottleneck before the box
chokes.  The 5320 was a good proc.  You could bump the RAM on the box.
10GB is sort of an odd place to be... and the RAM isn't that expensive
right now.   Beyond that, be sure you're keeping an eye on your MySQL.
Are the tables indexed?  You'll probably want that...   Just some thoughts.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services