[BlueOnyx:13740] Re: old raq550 question

George F. Nemeyer tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Tue Sep 24 15:01:28 -05 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Michael Stauber wrote:

> Device Model:     	ST380021A
> Power_On_Hours: 	81257
> Power_Cycle_Count: 	  135

> Raw_Read_Error_Rate:	143743403
> Seek_Error_Rate:	403284815
> Hardware_ECC_Recovered:	143743403

> My usual advice would be to replace both disks. But there you'll
> immediately have the problem that those LBA24 ATA drives are hard to get
> these days. You must use IDE drives which have no more than 137GB at the
> most.

They're ancient, yeah.. but note that the ECC fixed *all* the soft
errors...just doing it's job.

HDA is reporting the sort of errors I'd worry about, but since the box is
a non-critcal but RAID application, I'd be tempted to let the good HDC one
go on and see just how long it *does* last since it's not reporting any
hard errors.

The low power cycle count is one thing I'd attribute to the longevity of
the drives...nice stable temperature and power conditions, with a very
small number of head 'landings'.  Lots of on-off cycles is punishing to a
drive.

I've got a drive in one old Sun machine that's been going for over 15
years now...and for the last 5 it's main spindle bearings sound like a
threshing machine...but it's still going!  I'm going to let it run until
it dies...or I do.  I hope it goes first!

=^_^=  Tigerwolf