[BlueOnyx:13743] Re: old raq550 question

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Sep 25 08:31:09 -05 2013

On 9/24/2013 9:24 PM, Ernie wrote:
> I have an old RaQ550, it is possible to install BlueOnyx on it?

Here's the short answer you are looking for:  Yes.
http://mail.blueonyx.it/pipermail/blueonyx/2012-November/011661.html

You can get the oldest version of BlueOnyx (5106R) to run BlueOnyx.
However, it's no picnic, and I certainly would not recommend it for
anything that you would want to rely upon for any purpose.

But for more reading (this has been discussed quite a bit in the past)
you can take a look here (and view the entire thread):
http://mail.blueonyx.it/pipermail/blueonyx/2009-October/002565.html

As many of us from the old Cobalt days can attest, you're just tempting
fate by continuing to run one of these time bombs in a production
environment.   If you're looking for something to play with in your
spare time, then sure.

You will notice that this thread actually belongs to another user, who
is reporting that his RaQ has begun to fail.
http://mail.blueonyx.it/pipermail/blueonyx/2013-September/013730.html

Based on my experience (we once had several dozen Cobalts running) these
things begin to fall apart bit by bit.  Drives fail, capacitors start to
leak, the systems flake out as they find new and unexpected ways to die.
   Although the machines themselves are very pretty, their deaths are
often ugly.

Not to mention, you can get far more modern hardware, or even take a VPS
or dedicated system from a provider like us or one of the other
providers here on the list, and get better performance without the worry
about when it's going to croak!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services